Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Skinny"

I just wanted to share something that I found on the internet a few weeks ago and just thought it spelled out how I feel about myself SO well.

I find that, so often, some women are so concerned with not offending anyone if they've gained a pound or two. The "f" word (fat) is like calling someone a whore these days. However, myself, as well as my mom, have ALWAYS been criticized for being tall and thin, and people see absolutely NO problem with making judgmental or rude comments about it. This double -standard we repeatedly experience seems to constantly get overlooked. I have received rude and snide comments by not only strangers but by close and dear friends, as well. The majority of these comments also come from overweight women which leads me to believe they are envious. But why? I do nothing to make you feel uncomfortable about your weight so any insecurities you may feel are only coming from yourself. It does not affect me, whatsoever, what your body looks like and my body should not affect you. What boggles my mind is how they know so little about what I do or do not do to take care of myself and they have absolutely zero concern for how their comments may sting. 

These comments have gotten even more prevalent since I've had my son as my figure quickly returned back to normal. Aren't we, as women, supposed to be supportive of one another? The new standard is that women give up after gaining a few pounds. And that's fine but don't complain if that's how you want it. Suddenly, we who are thin and healthy are looked down on. 

This posting isn't to criticize overweight women, skinny women, short women, or tall women but it is me, taking a stand in saying that we need to be comfortable in the beautiful bodies God gave us without tearing eachother down. I'm proud of the way I'm built. I know it won't always be this easy to maintain the older I get so for now, I'll enjoy it. Enjoy yours!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment