Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Green Monster Shakes

For months, I've been hearing about the benefits of Green Monster shakes! What are these things, anyway? I describe them as a healthy shake or smoothie, packed with spinach, and masked by other healthy ingredients that disguise the yuckier tasting stuff: the key ingredient, however, always being that lovely spinach. 


Of course we've always heard how great spinach is for us but really, I wanted to truly know the benefits. Upon research, I found that there are tons and tons including diet aids by aiding in digestion, it's packed full of antioxidants and vitamins including Vitamins A,C, E, and K which help aid in the fight against osteoporosis, promotes a healthy nervous system and brain function, and boost our immunity, and it also helps to fight cancer! On top of all of these benefits, it helps promote healthy skin, hair, and nails! 

I've read that over 90% of our population does not get the recommended amounts of fruits and veggies in their diet every day which is a sad, sad fact. Even worse, I am a part of this statistic so I thought I'd give a Green Monster Shake a try! 

Thanks to the wonderful world of Pinterest, I found an awesome recipe on a blog called iowagirleats.com so I thought I'd pass it along! It's relatively low fat (with the exception of the peanut butter which, I use a light version of anyway) and tastes just like bananas and peanut butter! If you can get past the green look, I HIGHLY recommend these! I've altered the ingredients just slightly but it's basically the same. 

Green Monster Spinach Smoothie

Ingredients:
1/2 sliced banana (may be frozen)
1 Tbs. peanut butter
1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
1 cup non-fat milk 
Fill the rest of the blender up with spinach

If it's not sweet enough, throw in a few frozen strawberries!
If it's not cold enough, throw in a few ice cubes. 

Blend, blend, blend until smooth and creamy and devour. 

You gotta do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment